Thursday, September 9, 2021

Day 305 - It's official, I'm In Ketosis!!

I received my blood monitor today and tested when I got home from work. It turns out it was a great time to test. It was before dinner and at least 3 hours since the last time I ate. My results were 1.4 for ketones and my glucose was 65. I think I will do before dinner and 1.5 hours after to see how my meals effect my numbers tomorrow. 



My app also provides me with GKI. 

Definition: GKI, or the Glucose Ketone Index, is a simple formula that tracks the ratio of blood glucose to ketones as a single value. It's a biomarker for tracking your metabolic health as well as your level of ketosis, and it's easily tracked if you have a blood glucose and ketones testing meter. 



Here are guidelines I found for GKI numbers. 

  • GKI > 9: You have not reached ketosis.
  • GKI 6-9: You are at a low level of ketosis that is ideal for weight/fat loss and overall wellness.
  • GKI 3-6: You are at a moderate level of ketosis that is ideal for those diabetes, obesity, metabolic syndrome, insulin resistance, etc.
  • GKI < 3: This is a therapeutic ketosis level that is ideal for those who with chronic health conditions like cancer, Alzheimer’s disease, or Parkinson’s disease.
It looks like my numbers are very good. It seems to me that I may be able to increase my carbs possibly. I will test for a week and see where I am at. I would be ok with being at a 3-6 as this seems ideal for my situation as I am obese and not just slightly overweight. But further testing before and after dinner will be necessary before I can make that decision. 

No comments:

Post a Comment