Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Day 13 - Inflamation & Water Retention - I'm Up By 5 Pounds!

1/14/20 - I pretty much predicted I was going to jump up in weight today. I spent 6 hours helping a friend deep clean yesterday and as predicted I was up by 5 pounds! Wasn't expecting 5 pounds but I am ok with it. I am trying to learn not to let the scale play with my head, especially if I know I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing on a daily basis!




I know water retention can play a big roll in weight gain. But I had also heard that it can be caused by inflammation as well. So I looked it up online and here is what I found out. 

Weight Gain Immediately After a Workout
A lot of factors can influence your weight—including your workouts.
Have you ever noticed that right after (or even a day or two after) an intense workout the scale goes up? That's normal, and it doesn't mean you're actually gaining weight, Dolgan says.
"A person's scale mass is a combination of muscle, fat, bone, the brain and neural tract, connective tissue, blood, lymph, intestinal gas, urine, and the air that we carry in our lungs. Immediately after a workout routine, the percentage of mass in each of these categories can shift as much as 15 percent." Intense workouts cause variability on the scale due to factors like hydration status, inflammation from muscle damage repair (we call this delayed onset muscle soreness), even the amount of intestinal by-product or urine and blood volume, Dolgan says. So there you have it: if you're gaining weight while working out and eating healthy, it's probably not the type of weight gain that you think it is.
So there you have it! After strenuous exercise you can gain weight from inflammation and water retention. Since 6 hours of cleaning is not something I do on a regular basis, I should see a drop in weight I hope in a few days! Fingers crossed!  

No comments:

Post a Comment