Sunday, January 10, 2021

Grocery Price Comparison

 One of the things I wanted to do was really take a look at the changes I am making and see if it really does cost more or less to eat healthy. Now I am now going to include a price comparison for stuff I normally buy like frozen veggies/fruit and produce I normally buy anyway. It's only if I am going with a different type of product that I am really looking to see the difference in price. With that said, here are the items I did a price comparison on:

TOFU - Regular Firm Tofu was $2.49 per lb and Silken was $2.79 per pound. I usually pay at least this or more for most meat I buy. I do get ground beef or chicken on sale for $1.99 lb but that is not always the case. So in terms of replacing some meat with Tofu I would say it is no more expensive then meat! I will be using the Silken Tofu for a replacement for Sour Cream. Hannaford Sour Cream is cheaper at $1.29 per pound, but with less fat it is a win! I will also use it instead of doing scrambled eggs, but I have no real idea how to do that comparison. LOL! 




PASTA - Whole Wheat Pasta was $1.32 per pound where regular pasta is $.99 per pound. I don't really see this effecting my food bill. We are talking pennies of a difference, so I think it is a win.  




STOCK - Vegetable stock is actuall $.10 less then Chicken stock. 


RICE - White rice and brown rice were the same price!


FLOUR - Hannaford White Flour was $.49 per pound but they did not offer whole wheat flour. So I had to get King Arthur. To compare apples to apples, King Arthur White Flour was $.79 per pound while their whole wheat flour was $.89 per pound. Only a $.10 per pound difference!


PEANUT BUTTER - We always bought Skippy Peanut Butter in the large jar and that was $2.30 per pound. For Hannafords peanut butter that was just peanuts and salt it is $2.03 per pound! 


MILK - If I compare what I usually buy for milk it is $.99 per quart if I buy the gallon like I usually do. But I looked up a 1/2 gallon of fat free Hannafords milk and it is $1.35 per quart which is the same price for the Almond Milk I purchased yesterday. 



These were the main items I purchased that I had to change to meet my dietary needs. I would say between some being slightly higher and some lower, it is a pretty even balance when it comes to pricing as far as I'm concerned! All in all, if anything, I think this dietary change will be ultimately cheaper as I will be eating out less and cooking more from scratch! 





No comments:

Post a Comment