Tuesday, January 12, 2021

Day 63 - Went Down Hill From The Start

My first day of attempting to be a "flexitarian" just didn't go right from the start! Plus, I was dealing with a particularly difficult guest yesterday which added to my stress. When I got home I snacked on several no no foods and ended up eating just under 1900 calories yesterday! I do realize I could have done a lot worse but I did manage to take a deep breath and soldier on so I wouldn't go into a binge of eating junk food!

I am very much a routine oriented individual and for the first time in my life, I have found a system to lose weight that works VERY well for me. Even during stressful times I was able to stick with my plan, 8 days on and 1 day off, and get through my day. But yesterday did not work well at all. It probably wasn't the best day to make a drastic change but I will have good and bad days no matter how I eat and I need a plan that I can still stick through during rough days and good days. Clearly this diet is not working to help me through my bad days. Yes, I only gave it one day, but it was just too much of a change and I came to realize if I continue to do this new plan, it may sabotage all the hard work I have put in to already losing 22 pounds! I guess I am not willing to take that chance. 

For the first time since I started my original plan in November, I wanted to just eat everything and anything when I got home yesterday. And I did nibble a little here and there on stuff I normally stay away from. I felt hungry most of the day, too. The key to my original plan was eating high protein for breakfast and lunch and with the new plan, it is difficult to do that with no dairy or meat. 

What is it they say? If it ain't broke, don't fix it! So as I discussed yesterday I want to get away from processed foods but allow myself meat and dairy on my on days. I did give in and got a diet coke this morning, I'm still trying to find just the right alternative for me and I will work on that this week even more. Although the orange juice worked, it just left my mouth gunky and I wasn't a fan of that. So I am going to try finding a 100% fruit punch or try orange pineapple juice with more carbonated water and less juice and see how I like that. So that is a work in progress. I do want to at least cut back on the diet coke because the preservatives in that make me the most nervous with the amounts I drink everyday. So if it means adding a few extra calories to my diet so I can lower my intake of the diet coke, I am ok with that! It is a work in progress, but I know I will get there! 

So the flexitarian diet was an epic fail but I do think it has taught me that I can switch to eating whole foods that are less processed quite easily. We (meaning my family) enjoyed the banana bread made of whole wheat flour and maple syrup instead of sugar. We liked the all natural peanut butter and I didn't even notice a difference between white and brown rice! So that is a good start to getting processed food out of our diet. I guess the lesson here is baby steps will work best to change our diets for the better and over time we will be all the better for it! 

So it's all good! I will move on from here and keep trying to eat better and lose weight! You don't know if you can do some things until you try, so at least I tried! 





No comments:

Post a Comment