Saturday, January 29, 2022

Keto Mackerel Cakes

My mom made what we called "Salmon Cakes" (called it that for years) for us all the time. I DO NOT like fish unless it's frozen fish sticks or these "Salmon Cakes". LOL! My mom never used salmon. She always used Mackerel so I have changed the name since making them myself. 

If you prefer salmon, you can easily use that instead of mackerel. But mackerel is a great fish to add to your diet. Be sure to check out this article on mackerel and it's benefits! 

9 Health Benefits of Mackerel

Keep in mind Atlantic mackerel is lowest in mercury levels but you will want to avoid spanish and king mackerel as there mercury levels are high. 

Normally our original recipe took a whole sleeve of saltine crackers. It took some trial and error but I found a 1/2 an once of crushed pork rinds worked perfect. That's about 1/4 cup. 

Keto Mackerel Cakes ~



Ingredients ~

1 15oz Can Mackerel

1/2 Ounce Crushed Pork Rinds

1 Large Onion Chopped

1/4 Tsp Pepper

1/2 Tsp Seasoned Salt

2 Eggs

Directions ~ 

Mix all ingredients well. Form into 1/3 cup patties. Place patties in a dry hot skillet. I sprinkle with more seasoned salt once they are in the pan for extra flavor. Fry at medium heat. Brown on both sides. Once brown  bring temperature to medium to low. Simmer for 15 minutes covered. 




I haven't been able to find mackerel locally for awhile now so I ordered a case on Amazon.

A simple way to crush pork rinds is right in the bag. I poked a couple of wholes in the bag and took a mug to crush them. Then I placed the crush pork rinds in a Ziploc bag.





No comments:

Post a Comment